Iran’s new President is tweeting his US foreign policy
Dr. Hassan Rouhani, the new Iranian president who took office officially last week, has taken a unique approach to handling the United States. Dr. Rouhani has been taking to Twitter to express his feelings about the United States and Iran’s nuclear program.
The most interesting part about Dr. Rouhani’s twitter account is the fact that it’s in English. He has two accounts, one in Persian and one in English, to help communicate. In the past he’s replied, RTed and responded to a lot of concerns, complaints and comments handed to him.
While this isn’t the first foreign or domestic dignitary to have access to social media, this is the first from Iran to relay his message regarding the United States directly to over 16,000 followers. Check it out:
On his account, he also said “the worst approach is to speak loudly, but act slowly”. Now, whether or not his 140 character diplomatic messages are hot air or actual substance has yet to be determined, and because Iran’s government system is a labyrinth of political ties with religion, a lot of his talk may not even become something measurable. But there’s a saying in PR, “there’s no such thing as bad press”, and this is a giant leap forward in changing the perspective of the Iranian president from it’s former leader, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who was notorious for his anti-American rhetoric.
This probably won’t solve the tense chest puffing going on between the United States and Iran, but it is a step in the right direction. This new president is showing that he is at least willing to open various channels of communication, no matter how informal they are, to show he is willing to try and alleviate the murmurs of nuclear war.
About joemartin2014J-student at Arizona State University, and pursing a minor in business as well.
- Been using ios11 for a week now. A lot is good! 1 week ago
- 90 percent of my instagram notifications are adult spam bots 1 week ago
- lol watching the dbacks coverage of the shelling the cubs are delivering: historic scoreboard? Awful. Lesters first home run? Not real. 2 weeks ago
- Great day for some bad golf (@ Karsten Golf Course - @asu in Tempe, AZ) swarmapp.com/c/9islEOWa91a 2 weeks ago
- Goodbye six pack that didn't exist (at @Oreganos Pizza Bistro in Gilbert, AZ) swarmapp.com/c/8ok8k6c7dQJ 2 weeks ago
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.